Monday, February 13, 2017

Fifty Nine Weeks

Hello Everyone!

So this has been a pretty easy going week. There has been rain, a little more rain, and then maybe just a touch more rain, though I did not soak my shoes this week. There haven't really been any special crazy occurences so mostly just a few short tidbits to share.

First of all, on Tuesday our investigator Diego made us an Asado for lunch which was super super tasty. Argentine asado is basically the same as grilling, just a lot slower and so instead of cooking with coals that just had the fire die down and with smoke, you cook it open air right when the coals (usually from wood instead of charcoal) have actually finished burning all the way through. The result is that you get a lot more of the wood flavor, and a lot less of the smoke flavor, the meat normally stays a lot lot juicier, and it is cooked the same all the way through. I really enjoyed it, but my vegetarian companion was left eating potato salad, cucumbers, and regular lettuce and tomato salad.

As we go teaching people as missionaries, we also have a set of lessons that we are expected to teach so that the people we teach learn some key doctrinal points to get them started. After someone gets baptized, we then go over the lessons again to make sure that they understand, accept them, and can progressing and growing. Well this last week we finally finished reteaching Kevin all the lessons and so now he knows it all. (Well he still has a lot he can learn, but he has learned all he needs to from us at least).

Once again with Diego then, we left him to start reading the Book of Mormon from the beginning this week instead of assigning him a part to read here or there and in 3 days time he read all the way from 1 Nephi chapter 1 up through 1 Nephi chapter 15. It was awesome when we visited him again and found that out. It is definetely a huge change from when we first found him and started visiting him. It is really awesome to see the growth and change in people here and I am loving it. Diego is also from Uruguay but right on the border with Brasil and so he can speak both Spanish and Portuguese. In response to something that I said though he addressed me (and my companion) as "Meu anjo" which I was able to tell was portuguese and thought I knew what it was, but I asked him just to confirm it and he explained that it was, in fact, portuguese for "My Angel". There are a lot of people that talk about the missionaries that have taught them, visited them, or helped them learn and grow - especially those who start teaching them or are the ones there when the get baptized - as their "Angels" but I had never had someone directly say it to me. I was stunned for a moment but it certainly felt really good, and is definetely not something that I imagine I will forget.

In church then we had Diego and Esteban once again, though their wives still haven't been. We have been teaching another couple though that also needs to get married in order to get baptized, the Familia Ibañez, that have been learning a lot too, but at a slower rate. They haven't made it to church yet but have promised to make it next week and so I am really hopefully that we can get them there too.

Other than that though, there is not all that much new, other than a couple of funny quotes from my companion:
1) As an apology, instead of saying "I'm sorry with all my heart", he decided to show a deeper remorse in saying "I apologize with all my internal organs".
2) As it was raining really hard one day there was a strong patter of rain in the storm drain when my comp said "I hear a lot of dogs" as if concerned there were a lot of them off in the distance barking. (He's not a huge fan of all the dogs that there are just roaming the streets here in Argentina). He quickly learned it was the storm drain though and that was the end of that. 

Hope you all have a good week though and love you all!

Love,
Elder McCollum

p.s. Included is a picture of the African (satanic) temple that I mentioned last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment