Monday, October 16, 2017

Ninety Three Weeks

Hello Everyone!

This week we honestly didn't teach a whole lot of people, but there was a lot of interesting things going on. First of all, we had interviews with the mission president on Thursday, and so while we were waiting I got to run across a couple of other missionaries that I had made good friends with in the past but that I hadn't seen in a long time, which was really cool. Also while we were waiting though, there were some of the missionaries that had just made it to Argentina not that long ago that were talking about stuff going on in the USA or on the world stage that made me realize I now know more about Argentine politics than those of my own country haha. I got a laugh out of that one.

On Friday then we had divisions, and my companion got to go and work in my old area (Loma Hermosa) and got to teach Esteban while over there. He too affirms that Esteban is awesome. In our area though, I was with Elder Wasson (from Hawaii). While we were walking down the street however, we saw someone with a bunch of newspaper clippings and random things pasted on plywood outside of his house, among them a photo of Joseph Smith. We decided to contact it and the dude turned out to be a totally conspiracy theorist, drawing super tiny connections with everything that really had no basis in anything. He claimed that it was research in Jewish Vampiric history (no clue what that means...), and that it had to do with the government wanting to force everyone to work. It was interesting meeting him, however we were on our way after not too long.

On Saturday then we were approached by someone from a fairly new radio station that we walk by frequently that asked us if we would like to have a one hour spot on his station to have some kind of religious program. I was super excited because I have always wanted to try and get something put on the radio as a means of finding new people to teach my entire mission, but never got the opportunity to do so. I will be in touch (hopefully) with the public affairs representative for the church though to see if we can't do something. If we were able to, it would be awesome and he said that we could have up to 3 one-hour spots per week. More on that in the future. :)

Lastly, yesterday (Sunday) was mother's day in Argentina, so we got to speak with our parents. It was kind of an unexpected surprise, but it was a really fun experience and I got to enjoy calling home. After the call, we were visiting with the member whose home we were in and it somehow came out that he had an old typewriter. He got it out to show off some and when I showed interest in it (it was really cool), he lent it to us to take back to our apartment and use and so now I have a really cool way to write in my journal. It's pretty neat.

Other than that though, there is not a whole lot new with me and so I hope that you all have a great week!

Love,
Elder McCollum



catholic chapel
elder venecia
divisions
jose smith and the conspiracy theorist
typewriter
radio dude
mutual

2300 - A cool catholic chapel in our area
2309 - Elder Venecia, a friend from when I was in the offices that I came across during interviews.
2314 - Conspiracy therist clippings
2315 - Picture of Joseph Smith among the clippings
2318 - Elder Wasson (from Hawaii) during divisions
2330 - The typewriter case
2332 - The typewriter! (A Remington 20)








No comments:

Post a Comment