Saturday, July 22, 2017

Eighty One Weeks

Hello Everyone!

Well, among the new changes with a new Mission President is that he wants the office Elders to have P-day on Saturdays, which means that I will now be writing you all on Saturdays instead of Mondays up until I leave the offices. :)

Thus, not much has happened since I wrote just four days ago, but I do have a few fun, short little stories to share.

First, I was on divisions with Elder Peralta, another Elder in our district on Tuesday. We didn't have that many plans, and so we went and tried to re-establish contact with some people that Elder Cespedes and I had contacted previously. Well, we showed up to the house of someone named Ariel and knocked on the front door. From a side door farther down the block though, someone stuck their head out and asked who it was. We told him that we were looking for Ariel (I didn´t remember so well what Ariel looked like) and he told us that he wasn't home, but that he was his brother. We talked with him about a minute more, and asked him if he wanted to hear our message (he declined) and so we talked a minute more with him and were on our way. As he was stepping into the house though, I said I'd missed him name and asked him what it was. "Ariel." He then stepped inside. I don't think he realized his slip up, but I don't think we'll be heading back there haha.

We were also able to teach our investigator Serefina this week. It was really cool though because though she told us once again that she wanted to put of getting baptized a little longer, she was really open with us about doubts she was having and how it was a little difficult for her to leave behind some of her traditions. I say it was cool because not a lot of people here tend to be that open; they just shut it all up, or layer it with excuses or things they think you want to hear to be happy. It's nice though, because now we know how to actually help her and she ought to be able to make it to baptism some time in the not too distant future.

Yesterday too then, Elder Cespedes and I got to help out with the zone conference in Chivilcoy that started at 9am, so we got to wake up at 5am to get ready and then out on the road there by 6:30. It was a fun drive, and was a really good zone conference, but there was one part in particular that made both of us about die laughing. If it's not that funny in email, I'm sorry, but it was really funny in person (and in spanish - not sure if the English translation will have the same humor). Anyway, I was grabbing something out of the backseat of the truck, with my hand on the doorframe, and Elder Cespedes decided to look in to see what I was grabbing. As I grabbed it and stepped back though, my hand (and more specifically my finger) went straight under his lip, in the same way as when you have a baby make a kissy face and then pass your fingers over their lips to make a funny sound. I grabbed my hand back, and then have jokingly, half actually saying it said "¿Porque pusó su boca allí?" "¿Que haces?" ("Why´d you put your mouth there?" "What are you doing?" - what made it particularly funny though is that the form I used for the verb in the second sentence, "haces" is the same kind of verb you hear a parent talking to their kid with, or one friend talking to another with (vos), and not the more professional form you normally use as a missionary (usted), and it just came out like that without thinking). It was a kind of awkward random moment turned funny.

Other than that, there isn't all that much new to share this week. Sorry, but it was kind of a short week between P-Days haha. I hope you all are doing well though and have a great week!

Love,
Elder McCollum

Photos:
1906 - Elder Peralta and I on divisions
1910 - The sunrise on the way out to Chivilcoy
1911 - Early morning fog off in the distance on the way out to Chivilcoy
1912 - Zona Chivilcoy, who we helped out with their zone conference (I´m not in Chivilcoy, so I'm not in the picture)





No comments:

Post a Comment