Monday, July 17, 2017

Eighty Weeks

Hello Everyone!

This has been a busy, busy week. More than anything, we have had zone conferences every single day and the schedules have been changing a lot as President Resek goes trying to decide the format that he most likes. With all that, it has been a little difficult to get out to our area every single day, but on Saturday the whole zone got together in our area (around 20 missionaries) to go out and contact and they were able to tell us about a lot of awesome people that were receptive to us going back to visit them and so that kind of made up for it. We are looking forward to following up with them (if time allows) this week to hopefully find more people to teach.

Today on P-Day, our bishop also invited us over to have an Asado (a type of Argentine grilling out). We came a little early though so that he could also teach us how to make it, and so now I am a little more ready to give it my own hand too. :) It was super awesome though because normally we are limited to one hour to eat with members during the week so that we can get out and get working again, but since it was P-day we were able to spend time with him, his wife, and his kid, as well his neighbors that are also members just visiting and telling stories, which was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it, and I think it was one of the tastier asados that I have eaten as well.

Other fun things for this week are that I have been sick with some kind of throat something. I don't feel sick at all, other than a sore throat that at times really starts to irritate (especially when it's cold) but I found that having a scarf on and keeping it warm makes it less irritated, and so I have been wearing a scarf all week long, both inside and outside, awake and asleep. Since we´re not quite sure what it is either, the mission nurse lent me a medical-type disinfectant spray that I can spray in my throat that has a dragon on the bottle. I thought it was cool (and it helps) so I am sending a picture.

Other than that, with our new mission president, we are now allowed to drink mate, an argentine hot drink that is super tasty (or so say I - it is very bitter and most people probably wouldn't like it). It is prepared in a "mate" or "matero" though, with "Yerba" (dried Yerba Mate plant, sometimes with flavorings) and a "bombilla" - a type of metal straw with a filter on the end so that you don't end up drinking the plant leaves too. Long story short though, you put the bombilla in the matero with yerba, and you pour hot water into it, drinking it up as it passes through the leaves. Once it is gone, you fill it up and drink again. You can add sugar if you want (and many people do). It's fun though, and I really like drinking it during my studies (especially since it's cold outside) so I'll also include some pictures of that.

Other than that though, there isn't really all that much new to share and so I hope that you are all doing great and that you have a great week. Love you all!

Love,
Elder McCollum

Photos:
1872 - A very Yankee sight as we were going down the street in our area. A convertible Porsche outside of a Starbuck's Coffee. (In my year and a half in Argentina, this is the ONLY Starbuck's that I have ever seen or heard mention of, and maybe the second Porsche that I have seen.)
1882 - Elder Cespedes and I running and errand in the office truck. Notice the scarf haha.
1886 - Mate and crackers with cream cheese is pretty tasty in the morning. The thing that says Taragui is a bottle of hot water to make the mate with.
1887 - Mate :)
1888 - Mate with water.
1892 - Dragon feel better spray. I like.
1898 - A very foggy day outside - picture taken from our apartment on the 13th floor.
1902 - The asado that we were making with the Bishop today. It was tasty.









No comments:

Post a Comment