Monday, June 27, 2016

Twenty Six Weeks

Hello everyone! 

Well this has been a pretty interesting week so far in Parque San Martin - it's a little rougher of an area than my last one, but still not very dangerous I wouldn't think. We have to do a lot of walking though so at the end of the day I am definetely tired, especially since there are very few paved streets - only the ones in the very center of town where there are a lot of stores or parks are paved - the rest is just super hard packed (and very uneven) earth, so I suppose it's kind of like hiking all day long, just in a shirt and tie.

First of all though, my new companion's name is Elder McDonald, and so we make a McCombo haha. The poor people here have a hard time with the "Mc" in spanish, and so our names are kind of hard for them. They can at least say my companion's name because of the restaurant, but my name still gets either an "oh", a solid attempt at saying it right (I am getting better and better at saying it with a spanish accent, so it becomes easier and easier every time for those that we visit), or a joke that I should be Elder Burger King. What can you do haha. Elder McDonald is 6 feet 3 inches tall as well so combined with me at 6 foot 2 we are both taller together here than almost any other person that we meet, which can also be amusing. He is from California though and loves photography, but instead of landscapes or things like that he prefers National Geographic type photos of people or places, showing what they are really like. We get allong pretty well though and he only has a few more months than me in the mission and so we both have practically the same amount of experience, and so working together is really fun.

The members here are really nice too though, and we always have lunch with someone, with the exception of maybe one day a week or less, but they all love having the missionaries over so that is pretty awesome. I have also seen a bunch of miracles since being here in finding new people to teac,including: one house that we contacted that resulted in us getting 5 new investigators, on top of two more that we had already gained that day from a member, someone calling us during our personal study time asking us for a book written by Bruce R. McConkie (an apostle of the church more than 20 years ago) and to have a teaching visit with him in the chapel - and it's a person that not even my companion had met before, people that have stopped going to church for a while approaching us in the street and asking us to pass by their homes to visit them (with some of them even asking us to baptize their kids now that they are old enough to be baptized), as well as a few others. So, pretty interesting indeed haha. I am looking forward to working here.

We also had the opportunity to perform service a few times (something that we are supposed to do for a few hours each week, but before there has been nobody that has wanted our service) - one time loading up a truck with dirt and rocks because someone asked us to help as we passed by down the street, as well as a member asking us to help him a little in the construction of a house for his mother-in-law. For that we got to tie together some rebar with cable to make it more structurally strong before pouring more concrete to set it all, and so I got a picture of that as well. So now I can say that I helped to build a house during my mission here in Argentina. Pretty cool. We're going to help him with more this week I'm pretty sure, so the service will continue.

Other than that, it has been a pretty tranquilo week, and that is all the time that I have for this week so I will talk to you all next week and hope that all is going well for everyone!

Love,
Elder McCollum




No comments:

Post a Comment